Page still under construction

Colossi of Memnon of king Amenhotep III (1390 to 1352).  These two colossal statues of Amenhotep III (1390 to 1352) were built in 18th Dynasty in front of Amenhotep’s mortuary temple; the statues and the temple’s destroyed foundation is all that remains today.  The two huge seated statues were flanked by smaller figures of Amenhotep’s mother and his wife, Tiye.  Over time the colossal statues were cracked and so, when the temperature changed from night to morning, the stone expanded, making a wailing sound at sunrise. The later Greeks thought these sounds were like the Homeric character, Memnon, singing to his mother Aurora (dawn), so the statutes were dubbed the “Colossi of Memnon.”  Later, the Roman emperor Septimius repaired the damage so the statues stopped “singing.”

Bedouin Castle: Hotel, Safari, Nile Tours © 2013